All you ever wanted to know about Lower Back Pain
Low back pain has reached epidemic proportions1
DonJoy Lumbar Supports Range
Efficient & Elegant Solutions for Treating Back Pain
• Low back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide,
according to the “Global Burden of Disease 2010”.
• In industrialised countries, up to 80% of the population (4 out of 5
adults) will experience back pain at some stage in their life.
• During any one year, up to half of the adult population (15%‐49%)
report low back pain lasting for at least 24 hours at some time in
• In about 85% of back pain sufferers no clear pathology can be
• 90% of people with acute back pain will recover within 6 weeks.
• Of the total number of back pain patients, 5% to 10% eventually
develop chronic low back pain.
• Only 1% to 2% of patients require surgery.
Did you know that, Back pain is*:
• One of the most common reasons for missed work
• The 3rd most common reason for surgical procedures
• The 5th most common reason for hospital admissions.
• The most frequent cause of disability for people younger than 45 years of age
• The most common painful condition reported by patients after headache
Socio economic impact*
• On average, health care expenditures for individuals with back pain have been estimated to be about 60% higher than those without
• In the UK, the NHS spends more than £1 billion per year on back pain related costs, this includes:
hospital costs, GP consultations, physiotherapy treatments...
• In the UK, nearly 5 million working days were lost as a result of back pain in 2003‐04. This means that on any one day 1% of the working
population are on sickness leave due to a back problem.
• Back pain is the N°2 reason for long term sickness in the UK. In manual labour jobs, it is the N°1 reason.
Click below to download the datasheet and learn
about all of our new Lumbar products available in the UK
Back Supports - Myth Busting*
1WHO “Low Back Pain Initiative” 1999
* Sources: BackCare.Org, WHO, JAMA (Journal of the American
Medical Association), American Chiropratic Association
Wearing a Back Support Creates Dependency and Weakens the Abdominal Muscles
Although studies indicate that the use of a back support resulted in a more relaxed state of the abdominal musculature, more current studies demonstrated no evidence of a weakening effect.
Back support innovations have, in fact, allowed back pain sufferers earlier return to activity, negating the weakening effects of inactivity.
Back Supports Cause Poor Body Mechanics
A good quality back support encourages proper lifting technique, because slumping or forward bending in bad posture is more difficult. Lifting properly, in turn, strengthens the legs, abdominals and back muscles.
You Should Wean Off a Back Support ASAP
A properly fitted back support actually encourages movement. Many people find that the extra support improves confidence and allows a much earlier return to athletic or work activities. Only when restoration of dynamic core stability has been achieved do we begin weaning the patient from the use of their back support.
Please note that we only supply to the UK market.